A Simple Idea That Will Rescue Your Mother’s Day

Mother's Day Handprints

I always loved Mother’s Day when I was a child. I remember making little gifts for my mom at school–tokens of my love for her. A painting. A handprint. A poem. At that time I thought my mom had it all together. It seemed that she always knew what to do, what to say. I felt her love for me and I knew that she enjoyed being a mom.

What I didn’t know was how much she struggled with feelings of failure, doubt and inadequacy.

What I didn’t know was that on Mother’s Day she measured herself against an impossible ideal.

Now that I’m a mom, I can relate. We moms are hard on ourselves. And we often cannot see all the good we are doing. For this reason, Mother’s Day has not always been easy for me. But just last year I had a breakthrough, a paradigm shift. Because of a simple thought shared with me by a good friend, I now look forward to Mother’s Day.

She said, in essence: Mother’s Day is about gratitude for the gift of having a mother AND for the gift of being a mother.

We express appreciation to our mothers and all the women whose nurturing influence has graced our lives. But it seems every bit as fitting that we recognize and acknowledge the miracle of our own motherhood.

Last year, I stayed up late Saturday night writing letters to my children. I reflected on the reasons I was grateful to be a mother to each one of them. Because I gathered in my thoughts good memories from the previous year, I was overwhelmed by gratitude. I remembered moments of pure contentment and even some that took my breath away. The experience was indescribable!

Best Mothers Day Ever

Best Mother's Day Ever 2

My friend’s suggestion completely changed the eyes though which I view Mother’s Day. I won’t be getting out my subconscious measuring stick to evaluate myself this year. I will be too busy drinking deeply from a cup overflowing with blessings.

Best Mother's Day Card Outisde

Best Mother's Day Card Inside

Click for PDF

(Large PDF File, Print at 25% Scale)

Comments

1. Melody Vandenberg says

As a person very close to your mother I can tell you Shawna that see did love being a mom. We spoke everyday without fail. I can tell you that her every aspiration was how she could be a better mother. You are correct that she worried about being a good mother. She didn’t dream of vacations or what she would do after her children were raised; she studied and prayed for not only her children but how she could bless her Children’s children. This is still her concern, but as time as proven, she is the best mother I have ever known. Love’s to my Shawna, Melody

2. Mary says

comment shared via Facebook

This is a beautiful idea! I’m totally going to do it, too! Thanks for the post!

3. Rachelle Judson says

Shawna, this is a fabulous idea! I have always heard that we may not be the best mother in the world, but Heavenly Father knows that we are the best mother for our children. This is a great way to help remind us of the blessings in our lives, and to not focus on the things that we may feel we don’t have. Thanks for another uplifting thought!

4. Trisha says

Shawna……

This is the best idea ever!! I struggled with thoughts of aggravation toward my own Mother, and when she passed away…… I couldn’t take any of those silly, senseless thoughts or actions toward her back! I’ve learned over my 62+ years, not to sweat the small stuff and be ever so grateful for all I have been blessed with in my life, including my three beautiful adult children.

My oldest and youngest daughters have, for whatever reason in their lives, chosen to ignore me and remove themselves from contact with not only me, but each other and their brother as well. Their Dad and I have been divorced since 2005, so I have no idea if they keep in contact with him. I pray they do, as family is everything!

I am going to use your idea and send all three of my children a letter of why I love being their Mom! Thank you so very much for the wonderful idea. God bless you and your sweet family!

Sincerely,
    Trisha

• Shawna Morrissey says

Thank you so much for your perspective on what is important Trisha!

I am glad you are going to try this suggestion and I’d love to hear how it goes!

Happy Mother’s Day to you! :)

5. Angela says

This is great. I’m wondering what you do with your younger children. Do you keep them somewhere for them for later?

• Shawna Morrissey says

Last year was the first time I wrote letters. For the younger children, I made it very simple and I read it to them.

I love the idea of collecting the letters and saving them for later. Thanks for the tip Angela!

6. Jennie says

I’ll admit, I was feeling a little sorry for myself leading up to Mother’s Day. My husband is out of town for work, so there’s no one to remind the kids to make it special. But I can make it special, and I’m going to do just that. I’m so excited! I can’t wait! I’ve got so many plans, and instead of it being a sad little pity party of one, it’s going to be a joyful day! Thank you!

7. Lorinda says

I just recently learned that mom’s went through this on their day. I had no idea. I can’t relate. I am FAR from a perfect mom, but I don’t get feeling guilty on mother’s day.

8. says

I love this idea! I’ve heard of friends struggling with Mother’s Day like you said but since it took me many years to become a mom I’ve never had those feelings myself. Even so, I like your idea of sharing with your kids why you love being their mother. Thank you!