So, you have gone to the greengrocers or the market and come home with a few delicious perfectly ripe mangos. Alas, it slipped your mind that you have never peeled a mango, and you have no idea how to handle this delicious if not oddly shaped fruit.
Where do you go to get help? The internet is bursting with helpful tips and tricks and how to peel a mango. But none are better than our article.
We will cover everything you need to know about how to peel a mango in this guide. It really is so much easier than you could imagine. So, let’s dive right in!
How To Peel A Mango
Before we can start talking about how to peel a mango, it is important to mention that there are two basic methods that you can use.
In this section we are going to talk about what these two methods are and how to do them.
Using A Knife To Peel A Mango
To start things off, you can learn to peel a mango using a knife. This is quite an easy method. But there are some things that you need to pay special attention to before you go for this method.
Below are a series of step-by-step instructions for you to follow:
- To peel a mango with a knife you will need to start off by getting your mango in a vertical position on your cutting board. Make sure that the stem of the mango is pointed upward and you will be in the right position to get started.
- With your mango in the proper position you should now grasp your knife and make a shallow cut down the mango. Take care to just remove the skin. As long as you hold your knife steady in your free hand this should be quite easy to do.
- As you slice down the mango, try to remove a thin strip of mango skin. Take care to cut away from your body as you do this. Instead aim downward toward the chopping board. As long as you are careful to cut as shallowly as possible so that you do not cut away too much of the mango flesh.
- Continue this process until all of the mango skin has been stripped from the mango. It should be a rather simple process and once you are done, you should have a perfectly peeled mango ready to be sliced into pieces.
This process of peeling may not be perfect for everyone. If you are not happy to peel a mango using a knife, you might want to check out an alternative peeling method down below.
Using A Vegetable Peeler To Peel A Mango
If you want to have an even easier time peeling your mango, you may find that adopting a vegetable peeler to do the job will be just what you need. We have listed step-by-step instructions below for you to reference:
- The first step is quite simple, pick a nice ripe mango and place it on your chopping board.
- Grab a vegetable peeler and use it to peel your mango just as you would a carrot or potato. The best way to do this is to hold on to the top or side of your mango and cut downward with the peeler.
- Now all that is left to do is to chop off the ends of your mango and slice it into manageable pieces.
This is a super easy method to use if you are not sure about using a knife to peel your mango.
Sometimes Cutting A Mango Works Best
Peeling a mango to get to the delicious succulent fruit inside is not always the best way to deal with the skin of the mango. We have found that sometimes the best way to get to mango fruit is to properly cut it.
We have listed some simplistic instructions below for you to reference if you think that cutting your mango will work best for you:
- Locate the stem of your mango and cut down a little to the right. Take care to cut all the way down and avoid the pip. Try to slice along the pip to get as much meat off that side of the mango. Repeat this process on the other side of the pip. At the end you should have three pieces of mango, one with a pip and two without.
- On your mango slice without the pip, cut a grid into the mango flesh. Do not cut through the skin of the mango while you are doing this. Once you have a grid cut as close to the skin as possible press on the underside and push the mean inside out.
- Now all you need to do is use a spoon to scoop off the cubes of mango, Repeat step two for the other side of the mango and then spoon off the cubes for that side as well.
- Do not let the pip go to waste, carefully cut around the pip and get as much mango flesh off it as possible. Then all you need to do is slice that mango into pieces and you are done.
This process works better to get to the fruit of the mango. It hits two birds with one stone as you are both getting rid of the skin and also cutting up the fruit and making it easier to eat.
We hope that you have enjoyed reading this article and learning about how to peel a mango yourself. If it seemed like a daunting task before it should be much less so now.
Peeling a mango is really so simple and with this guide you should be well on your way to becoming a professional mango peeler. If that were a thing.
If you have enjoyed reading this article and would like to learn more about food, make sure to check out our website. We have a variety of interesting and educational articles all of which will help you in one way or another.
From inspirational to educational, we have it all on our website.
- 9 Substitutes for Choco Bake for the Perfect Chocolate Desserts - August 19, 2023
- Pyrex vs. CorningWare: Construction, Durability, Heat Resistance, and More! - August 19, 2023
- Nixtamasa vs. Maseca: Settling the Debate Once and for All - August 4, 2023